Where Did the Week Go?! (Alternatively Titled: Oliver Turns SIX!)

All I posted this week was a list of OTHER people’s posts that I liked? That’s just sad.

But I have to say, I’ve been pretty busy with setting up the new Style Key West website. And you, know – being a mom and all the usual stuff. I’ve actually just gone to bed at a normal hour a couple of nights this week instead of catching up on my blog reading. Selfish! I swear, I think those two days of lying around in bed after surgery spoiled me. It’s like I think I should have time to just relax and read books at night or something.

Whatever – everyone is busy, there aren’t enough hours in the day, and we all wonder exactly what we did during those years between leaving school and settling down. Why weren’t we traveling the world, writing a novel, learning to sew, founding Etsy or Google or something… Me? I spent a lot of time shopping. Wasted youth…

But back to the present… Yeah – I totally dropped the ball this past week. And it’s not like I didn’t have anything to write about either. I mean Oliver turned SIX! He’s losing teeth left and right and his speech is improving like gangbusters and he’s as cute as all…another cliche I can’t come up with. (Side note: does it bother you when people end sentences with prepositions? Because “with which I cannot come up” just doesn’t sound right.)

But back to Oliver… He’s SIX! I did post some footage of his new bike. But it was George riding (crashing) it. So maybe that doesn’t count. Here is a picture I was able to catch the other day.

Check out those training wheels! He went out with his Dad to pick out his bike a couple of weeks before his actual birthday, but that was the big present. The timing hasn’t been ideal for me since people recovering from abdominal surgery tend to shy away from chasing novice bike riders up and down the street all afternoon… But now that it’s been a few weeks, I don’t dread those few hours of daylight between school ending and dinner time.

Seriously though – who buys their child a bike immediately after the primary care giver (and watcher of children playing outside) has surgery? Oh yeah – that would be my husband.

Here is the timeline:

Friday, 3/11: Kate has abdominal surgery

Saturday, 3/12: Kate can barely move around the house

Sunday, 3/13: Oliver spends some time riding another little boy’s bike, Chris gets really excited and says, “I think we need to buy Oliver a bike today,” and Kate pops two more Percocet before saying, “GREAT IDEA!

Monday, 3/14: Chris goes back to work

The rest of the week: Kate spends every afternoon outside, teaching Oliver to ride his new bike.

Epilogue: Ouch.

What is wrong with this time line?

Ah well – lessons learned. I won’t have surgery a few days before buying the twins their first bikes.

Chris and I don’t always think things through as well as we should – but it all generally works out well enough. And we’re so proud of that little boy. I mean look at that face!

He’s six… How is that possible when just yesterday he looked like this?

And now I’m tearing up. Too many glasses of wine. One should never drink and blog (or comment…or something). That’s a well known PSA right? Well – it should be.

I think that’s quite enough for me tonight. Blogging or wine? I’ll decide in a minute – but I’m putting my money on blogging.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and I’ll be back on Monday to let you know what brilliance other people are contributing to the blogosphere in Monday’s Links. And then maybe I’ll have something of my own to say a day or two after that. It could happen…

21 Responses to Where Did the Week Go?! (Alternatively Titled: Oliver Turns SIX!)
  1. jane
    April 2, 2011 | 7:14 am

happy birthday to oliver! i love that picture. i just want to give him a big hug. :)
    p.s. a little yay! because i can leave comments again. have a great and ouchless weekend!

2. Robin
    April 2, 2011 | 10:25 am

Happy birthday Oliver! Wow, 6! Happy riding :). (And tell your mom to rest a bit, hey?)

———————————–
    My photography is available for purchase – visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

April 2, 2011 | 10:53 am

You look great in that picture with the newborn Oliver, but honestly, you look even better now! You get prettier all the time!

I can NOT believe he's SIX! Holy moly time flies!

You and Chris sound like us re: purchases like that and planning. Ugh.

Hope you have a good weekend -and isn't going to bed at a reasonable hour just wonderful? I've been doing it too and LOVE it.

4. Nancy
    April 2, 2011 | 11:11 am

Happy Birthday to Oliver!! Now his mama needs to get a bike so they can ride together :)

5. Nancy
    April 2, 2011 | 11:12 am

Happy Birthday Oliver! Now his mama needs to get a bike so they can ride together :)

6. Amy@Bitchin'WivesClub
    April 2, 2011 | 11:22 am

Wow, I can't believe you had surgery and were out teaching your little guy to ride a bike a week later! Women amaze me. :) I love it when they learn how to ride a bike by themselves, though, such a huge accomplishment and that picture of him looking so proud says it all, doesn't it?

Hope this week is a little less busy and you get to read that book!

7. Jo
    April 2, 2011 | 2:57 pm

Wonderful pix of Oliver!

8. Captain Dumbass
    April 2, 2011 | 3:13 pm

Happy Birthday, Oliver. Wow, he's a big looking six.

9. EatPlayLove
    April 2, 2011 | 8:12 pm

Happy Birthday Oliver! He's adorable, hope you are resting a bit more!

April 2, 2011 | 10:07 pm

Happy Birthday to Oliver! I would have been terrified of getting poked w/ one of those handlebars!

11. annechovie
    April 3, 2011 | 4:30 pm

Aw, Happy Birthday to Oliver! He's growing up so fast – love the missing teeth. Have a great week, Kate. xo

12. K A B L O O E Y
    April 3, 2011 | 5:33 pm

Happy Birthday, Oliver! And Kate: I totally relate to the behind on the blog, gap-toothed newly 6 year old making huge improvements thing. But i didn't just have abdominal surgery. Very impressive. I also bought bike last year because I'm too old and achy to jog along beside anymore.

13. Loukia
    April 4, 2011 | 8:06 pm

Happy HAPPY Birthday to your son! Such a cutie, he is. :)
    Blogging/commenting/wine go together very well, if you ask me!
    Also, my oldest will be turning si this summer, too. Gulp. Where DOES the time go, really?

14. lessonsinlifeandlight
    April 5, 2011 | 12:21 am

Aw, happy birthday to Oliver! His baby picture is so precious. Sorry, that's probably not helping your tears, lol.

15. for a different kind of girl
    April 5, 2011 | 1:29 am

Happy belated birthday to your Oliver! I hope the bike riding adventures are fantastic!

April 5, 2011 | 2:45 pm

"Drink and blog"…I like that. I might have to give that a try.

Happy Birthday to Oliver!

17. Scary Mommy
    April 6, 2011 | 10:29 am

Happy (way late) birthday Oliver! And, I vote that you need a spa vacation, okay?

18. Connie
    April 6, 2011 | 1:51 pm

THat is a sweet bike! Happy Birthday Oliver!

I love to blog and drink!

19. Lady Mama
    April 7, 2011 | 3:11 am

Happy Birthday to your son! Hope he had a great day. The bike looks awesome, though I'd imagine it was quite a bit of unwanted running around after your surgery. Thank goodness the body heals fast. Hope you're feeling okay now.

20. Wendi
    April 7, 2011 | 9:19 pm

You're a wonder to run after them like that. They're lucky kids to have you as their mom.

21. justmakingourway
    April 10, 2011 | 11:55 am

Happy belated birthday to the big boy!! It is amazing how fast they grow, isn't it?
    Oh, and by the way, the answer is always more wine!