He Said She Said: Part I

So apparently, my husband wants a blog.

A couple of weeks ago, he announced that he wanted to post something. In fact, he said that he believed he (and the kids as soon as they are able) should be given license to post on my blog as some kind of quid pro quo for being featured in my own writing. Not sure I agree, but I had no problem with him having a little spotlight time.

Then TODAY, I get an e-mail from him about this idea he had for a Valentines Day theme post in which he tells the story about how we met and then I tell the same story from my point of view. My first thought is, “when did he start liking my blog so much?” My second thought is, “why am I asking questions?” Besides, as an idea person myself - I always encourage those of others.

SO – welcome back Chris (weren’t you just here?). We’d love to hear the story of how you met your wife…

I was perfectly content sitting in my apartment playing Playstation, and eating pizza one weekend night. My phone rang, so I paused the game and answered it. I was expecting Mike, my roommate, to call me and tell me that he had just gotten off the subway and was about to head to the Four Courts of Ireland (our living room). It wasn’t Mike. It was my old GWU roommate/fraternity brother/swim team mate, Patrick.

Pat: Hey Hoody, come on over to my house. I’m having a few people over.

Me: Nah, I’m good man. I’m about to win the world series on Playstation here. Leave me alone. (Patrick is a very persuasive guy so you have to head him off at the pass as quickly as possible.)

Pat: I got a girl for ya. Come on over and meet her.

Me: Ugh, nah. It’s cool. (What I really wanted to do that night was to go to the Irish bar and tie a good one on with Mike – nothing better than having about 20 Guinness’and singing Irish songs).

Pat: OK, great. Then I’ll see you in about 15 minutes. (Hangs up phone.)

Me: Shit!

So just to show Patrick that I don’t jump when he tells me to, I took my sweet time and got over there in about 45 minutes. Ya, I’m crazy like that. I remember thinking that this girl better be my exact type (a little wild, tall, black hair and big boobs) or I’m outta there. So when I got there, Patrick met me at the door and pointed out the chick he wanted me to meet.

Pat: (pointing) That’s her.

Me: Uh, which one? (He was pointing to a pretty girl with brownish/red hair and she looked a little uptight or stuck up. Which is fine since I know how to deal with those types.) Really Pat? She not my type at all. (Game on.)

Pat: I know she isn’t. Just go talk to her – you will like her. Its not her looks, talk to her. She is a very nice girl. You will like her. Come on Hoody. (Pat knows me very well – almost too well.)

Me: Shit. I hate you Pat.

Sooo.. what did I do? That’s right, I talked to (hit on) just about every other girl at the party. Yessss, I’m super cool and smmooothe in case you were wondering. Always have been and always will be. “She wants me. I know it. They all do.” Long story short. I talked to her. Was hooked almost immediately and followed her around like a lost puppy.

I asked her out for lunch the next day. Lied to her and told her that my office was close to hers so it would be no problem to meet up (I worked nowhere near her). After lunch I said goodbye and took off. No “can I call you again”. No “that’s was fun”. Nothing/Nada (game on – always keep em guessing if you definitely don’t have the upper hand). I went back to the office and waited a bit and called and asked her if she wanted to go to dinner that night. She accepted.

Here I am. 10 years later. 3 kids. Married to the most wonderful woman I’ve ever met.

Kate, I love you. Happy Valentines Day. Thanks for giving a shithead a chance.

Hmmm. I see many inaccuracies in the facts of this story… First of all, when did he ever sing, let alone in Irish bars? But I’ll address those tomorrow when I tell the REAL story about how we met. That is – if anyone is actually interested of course. At the very least, I’m sure my Mom is still with us. Hi Mom!

26 Responses to He Said She Said: Part I
    February 12, 2009 | 4:46 pm

Oh I loved reading that. Glad you gave him a chance too Kate. Chris, your last couple of lines brought a tear to my eye – I’m a tad bit emotional these days. Hope to see you all soon! And I AM looking forward to reading Kate’s version of events tomorrow, of course!

2. Gwen
    February 12, 2009 | 4:55 pm

I would totally read Chris’ blog :) That was funny and sweet. Can’t wait for the “real version”!

3. Marinka
    February 12, 2009 | 5:11 pm

Let me guess, he’d call his blog “the bigger piece of cake”?

4. A Woman Of No Importance
    February 12, 2009 | 6:23 pm

Interesting!

Kate, please drop by mine tomorrow, for I have a little something for you – I don’t know if you ‘do’ them, but it’s something you deserve to have, even if you just tuck it into a cupboard!

5. Regardez Moi
    February 12, 2009 | 6:41 pm

I am so interested!!! That was great – there is nothing like seeing both sides of a story. I loved his version – so like a guy. And hilarious. I’d totally read his blog.

6. Celly
    February 12, 2009 | 6:44 pm

LOVED this, your husband should totally blog. Great idea and I can’t wait to read Part II. I have been “suggestively” selling the idea of Mike to guest post on my blog. Ha, no chance in hell will he oblige. Happy Valentine’s Day!

February 12, 2009 | 7:04 pm

This is a great idea! I can’t wait to read your version of events.

8. Kirsten
    February 12, 2009 | 7:07 pm

First you hide those adorable kids of yours, then you never tell us that your husband is brilliant.

What a cute idea. I can’t wait to hear the real version of how you met.

9. Robin
    February 12, 2009 | 7:26 pm

OMG… I LOVE this!
    Totally sweet in that guy kind of way. :)
    Can’t wait to hear your side of the story.

10. Baking With Plath
    February 12, 2009 | 7:30 pm

Hahaha I can’t wait to hear your version

11. Gale
    February 12, 2009 | 7:31 pm

Can’t wait to read your version!! I love a good story.

12. Ainsley
    February 12, 2009 | 7:39 pm

That was awesome! I’ll definitely be tuning in tomorrow to hear the real version.

February 12, 2009 | 8:59 pm

What a great story. I can’t wait until tomorrow!

14. 3 Peas in a Pod
    February 12, 2009 | 9:09 pm

I’m new to your blog but I love it. You had me hooked after the first line….

I’ll be back tomorrow.

Much love from NJ,
    Sue

15. Jo
    February 12, 2009 | 9:40 pm

I’m with you all the way! Can’t wait to hear what you have to say! Love, Mom

16. BananaBlueberry
    February 12, 2009 | 9:44 pm

That’s is a great story !

17. Madge
    February 12, 2009 | 10:05 pm

i don’t even want to hear my husband’s version of how we met. we can barely get through a compared trip to the grocery store…

18. Cyndy
    February 13, 2009 | 1:24 am

That’s a really nice story and it will be great to hear it from your point of view as well.
    When I first started my house blog, I sort of envisioned a he said – she said kind of deal because our work concepts and ideas about what is reasonable are so different and it might be interesting to read about it from two different perspectives. When that didn’t happen I thought he would at least write some comments, or retorts. No such luck. But it turns out that all of his friends read it to see what he’s been up to and they are always telling him how much they enjoy the way I tend to describe the process. So now he’s sort of proud of it. It’s nice to know that my sarcasm is appreciated by somebody.
    It would be fun to read a blog by your husband. His writing style is quite entertaining!

19. wendy
    February 13, 2009 | 3:01 am

That was great to hear his “story”. All cool, macho, Irish singing, beer slugging kinda guy. All you did was bat you eyes at him and his was sucked into you web of LOVE. Now I want to hear YOUR story.

20. Shanley
    February 13, 2009 | 3:19 am

I’m cracking up. good stuff.

21. Meagan
    February 13, 2009 | 3:20 am

That is such a cute idea… I should totally do something like that sometime, but we’re not funny like you two are, so no one would want to read it! Lol.

I can’t wait for your version!

And, if he starts a blog, I would totally read it, even though I don’t know him. You both are funny.

22. Bobbi
    February 13, 2009 | 1:16 pm

Good stuff, I’d read his blog if he had one. I can’t wait to hear your side of the story!

23. butwhymommy
    February 13, 2009 | 4:23 pm

Cute story. Can’t wait for you to set him straight on how it really happened.

24. Debbie
    February 13, 2009 | 6:57 pm

I think I’ll believe your version over his. I’m loyal like that.

25. mel
    February 13, 2009 | 8:06 pm

Too funny. I love it. I would so follow his blog. You guys both have great writing styles.

26. EatPlayLove
    February 16, 2009 | 2:26 pm

I’m feeling a bit uncomfortable here, I think hubby needs his own blog!(just kidding, how cute!) I love when ideas for blogging come from family members, it cracks me up.