Scent of a Necklace: The Wendy Brandes Mia Locket

Have you ever heard of scent necklaces? Well – I hadn’t heard the actual term until I saw this swoon worthy bauble at Wendy Brandes Jewelry a few months ago:

I found Wendy’s website when she commented on one of my posts (about my shoes of all things). I loved her designs and I was particularly taken with the Mia Scent Necklace (named after Mia Farrow for her role as Daisy in The Great Gatsby). I would have purchased it on the spot if it wasn’t for the fact that it is 18k gold with diamonds and not really in my impulse purchase price range.

I thought that it would be perfect for Materialistic Monday (it definitely falls into the category of “things I want but don’t actually need”), and planned to find other less expensive options to feature. But I was a bit disappointed in the search results. There just don’t seem to be all that many scent necklaces out there (unless of course you are into Avon or Wicca – then the selection becomes a bit more robust).

It took some digging, but I was able to find a few other designs that I liked:

The Morning Glory Antique Silver Locket Necklace with Turquoise Flowers from Heatherly Designs. Very ornate and well suited to girly girls (of which I am one).

The Heart Scent Locket from AFMetalsmith (red scent fabric was used for the picture). This locket is very modern and manages to make a heart look “edgy” – impressive.

This image came from Scent Scribbles. I don’t know anything about the site or this particular piece – but I really liked the shape and style.

The Sunflower Scent Locket from Equinox Gifts, has a very simple design that appeals to me. Great for silver devotees (and sunflower fans).

This museum piece found on dhub.org was designed by Elsa Schiaparelli, Paris, [c 1940]. I’m in love with the detail (see below):

The pink glass flower, a gold and dark blue, papau shell fly and a gold flower are too tiny to spot on the picture above. (Incidentally, I have no idea who Elsa Schiaparelli is and never knew that “papau” was the name of this kind of shell. That all comes directly from the description paragraph.)

A few of the lockets above are very affordable – but all in all, it’s not easy to find anything like a costume or knockoff version of the Wendy Brandes piece. And that is unfortunate for me because I think I could actually use a scent locket.

I’m one of those unfortunate people who doesn’t really retain smells (I mean, unfortunate when it comes to perfume and scented lotion – not when it comes to cigarette smoke and garlic). My perfume wears off in about three seconds, so I’m more likely to spray it on my sleeve than my wrist. A scent locket would solve that problem.

For now I’ll just have to continue to spritz my clothing and hope that Wendy adds a new “Recessionista” line to her current fine jewelry selection (with a knockoff Mia Scent Necklace of course).

19 thoughts on “Scent of a Necklace: The Wendy Brandes Mia Locket

Wow, that first one is really beautiful!

I’m especially aware of jewelry these days since I lost mine.

Nice find! :)

I love these necklaces. I would just love to have that one you covet too. And I know I normally leave upbeat comments, but I feel like sharing the little mean voice in my head which says if I could afford one I should send it to someone I now who smokes (shame on her!) so the perfume could overpower the stale cigarette scent that always accompanies her!

3. katie t

oh! i really LOVE the sunflower scent locket!

thanks for doing the digging now maybe i can go do some shopping?!? :)

4. Nancy

i especially love the 1st and last lockets displayed but they don’t fit into my new motto for 09 to be “the frugal family.”

5. BananaBlueberry

I had never heard of scent necklaces- Thanks!

They are all so pretty but I definitely like the first 2 the most…

Thanks my glamorous blogger friend for keeping me up-to-date, since I sitting here in my jeans and t-shirt :)

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!

6. Sal

I’m just the same: Spritz a little, smell divine for 37 seconds, and it’s back to Dove soap and Arrid Extra Dry-smell for me. I’ve become enamored of lockets lately, so I’m tickled to see this fun roundup of scented options.

That antique one with the turquoise flowers is gorgeous.
    I laughed out loud at the unless you’re into Avon or Wicca part.

8. Insta-mom

I totally had a ring or a necklace or something like this when I was a kid. The smell was so artificial and overpowering, but I thought I was so glamourous. And while I’m sure Wendy’s smell much better than that one did, it brings back great memories.

9. The Stiletto Mom

Those are so pretty and so unusual!! Great find…now, if only I hadn’t blown all my money on taking the kids to Great Wolf Lodge last weekend…sigh…

10. christine

Funny that you would feature those today—I’ve been searching everywhere lately for a good, small, and simple cheap locket (which is apparently impossible to find), and I came across scent lockets in my search. They’re definitely pretty I think, and I like the concept.

11. butwhymommy

That is a really cool concept. I love the one by Schiaperelli but I love all things by her (you should check her out she was one cool crazy lady). The one by AFMetalsmith is really cool too.

12. WendyB

I’m so glad you like the necklace! Hmmm. I would be willing to do that one in silver, which would be much less expensive, but still not cheap because there’s still a lot of labor to be done by hand in the U.S. If you’re interested, let me know at wbjewelry at hotmail dot com and I’ll price it.

13. Heatherly Designs

Wow, thanks so much for featuring my scent locket. I really like that first one too. To bad it’s karated gold and diamonds :(