Love at Every Sight

For once, I’m going to try to have a Materialistic Monday that includes more pictures than words. Let’s see if I can do it.

I’m in love with the Anthropologie catalog that arrived in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I usually get rid of catalogs once I’ve had a chance to look at them, but I just can’t bring myself to let this one go.

If I had unlimited funds, I could easily outfit myself for every season using Anthropologie finds alone. The vintage inspired styles allow for a much longer closet life. I mean vintage can’t exactly “get old” right? It’s supposed to look old – that’s the point.

My current favorites include the Fire’s Breath Dress in embroidered cotton poplin with silk habotai trim (incidentally – I hadn’t heard of habotai before – I’m just quoting from the catalog):

Elegant – no? And perfect for leaning against monochromatic kitchen backdrops.

I also love this simple Greying Oak Blouse in cotton voile with kimono sleeves:

It looks like it would be flattering on anyone – accentuating waistlines for the fuller of figure and creating curves for the willowy types (and suiting everything in between). It could also be dressed both up and down, which automatically adds outfit options to your wardrobe.

For “fancy” I’d go for this charming little number below:

The Bared Branches Dress in black and cream silk twill is something I could have worn to an event ten years ago. And I would imagine that I’d still be able to wear it ten years from now. Now THAT’S an investment dress.

Next up, one of the loveliest neckline and sleeves combinations I’ve ever seen:

This blouse (The Silent Constellation Blouse) of embroidered nude nylon is a favorite based on the cut and style. I’d have to see it in person since nylon can sometimes look cheap. I’m guessing that it wouldn’t look cheap – but the tulip appliqués are a bit much. The extra embellishments don’t seem necessary. As Tim Gunn would say, “I find them puzzling.”

Finally, I keep coming back to this dress of muted aqua silk:

The Tawny Garden Dress harkens back (people say “harkens back” – right?) to old Hollywood with the natural waist and gathered skirt. Another look that would suit both curvy and boyish body types. Pale gold embroidery provides subtle yet striking detail, and the blossom appliqués don’t puzzle me.

The only major point upon which Anthropologie and I don’t see eye is their choice of contemporary furniture for their home furnishings layouts. See anything familiar?

Ack! It’s “the chair.” I can’t get away from it. Ah well – at least it’s hidden in the corner.

So how did I do? Maybe a tad more description and personal commentary than necessary… But all in all, I think I displayed unusual restraint in the word count department. No promises for the future of course. But I’ll do my best.

21 thoughts on “Love at Every Sight

1. Tova Darling

OO, cute stuff! I like the first dress a lot.

I just have to say that the girl in the Silent Constellation Blouse looks like she could use a cheeseburger or two.

2. Cyndy

Those are beautiful clothes – feminine but not too girly. I think they put that chair in the corner to make their other stuff look even better. It was a marketing ploy!

3. butwhymommy

I love the greying oak blouse. Its quite lovely.

I love that store. I go in and look all the time but I never try stuff on. It just doesn’t look like it would fit me. So its better to imagine I could wear it than realize I can’t.

4. Suzie

I live near one and I gotta say eh? It aint all that when you try it on it just doesnt look like that (on me at least) but it does cost a mint

5. Melissa

I’m Coldwater Creek girl myself, mostly because they have stuff for people with actual breasts.

But after seeing those, I think I’m going to spend about a month on the treadmill….

6. Linda

I love the stuff in there too….love, love, love it. The only problem is I know that, especially the non-clothing items, cost about 2 cents to make and I have trouble playing $40 for something that I know I cost nowhere near that to make, buy, sell, fly around the world, etc. But I do love that store.

7. Connie

Again more proof that the Mormons’ in my town are contaminating my water. Rumor is that Mormons love Anthropologie (they call it Anthro for short) and by chance (or not) one of those catalogs came in the mail with MY name on it. I have found a couple of items that I love and they are never far from my mind.

It may just have to be step two of my social experiment….

8. Heather of the EO

AAAH, to look nice in clothing again…or naked for that matter. Look nice naked? What am I talking about?

Doesn’t that chair just seem perfect for rocking and nursing a baby? Riiiight, comfy :)

9. katie t

don’t even get me thinking about what i could do in that store!

i simply can not go in there without buying something.

it’s an obsession…a very awesome addiction! :)

…but at least i look good, right?!?

That chair!!

I love, and I mean love, Anthropologie. The closest one to us is in Seattle and it is a very long drive. I suppose it’s a good thing. sigh. Nice choices by the way.

11. Gale

I just need to get my body to look good with those cute clothes on. Yeah right with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up thats really going to happen??? Ha Ha

12. BananaBlueberry

My sister-in-law used to manage the Anthropologie on Rockville Pike and moved out to CA to open a store for them…
    you won’t believe this but I was wearing an ANthropologie sweater today !!!!!!!!!!

13. amy turn sharp of doobleh-vay

um- we are on same brain level of fashion love affair and we do think alike! – how cool. well, I already knew that. xo

Gorgeous and dreamy,just like the store. I want to know why I don’t get their catalog, but I’m inundated by catalogs w/ dancing snowmen. Aaargh. Life is not fair.

15. EatPlayLove

LOL! the chair! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Anthro. I really want the ruffle knee high boots, desperately. My birthday is coming so I am hoping and a wishing.

Love your choices.

16. Tiffiney

I love these…I so need new clothes…now a days I go for style of course…but comfort…hate things that are not comfy…these would be a great add to my fading wardrobe… :)

The chair..lol…it is haunting you!! :)